Total Pageviews

Friday, January 6, 2012

My chocolate winter cake

After a few hectic days, me and my man spent some time in the house relaxing and trying to get me to rest after the hospital checkups.

We watched some very nice movies (The wrestler, a few nice Harry Potter movies), and then we went to sleep. My man reached to tidy the blanket , so his feet don't stick out in the middle of the night, and he unfortunately caught his back.

The next morning he could hardly get out of bed. I went to the nearest drugstore and got him some tiger balm (thank god for that thing), and it helped a bit, some of his favorite chipps (cheese and onions), some drop (which is the national dutch candy).
Then I thought, what is better than a chocolate amazing cake to make my man happy? 

I got some groceries to make the most amazing chocolate cake. I couldn't eat it though since I need to watch my cholesterol, since I am not very healthy, but he can definitely have fun with it :)

So it worked. here is what the cake looked like when it came out of the oven with the coating and everything:


Then, 3 minutes later it looked like this: 


What made my day is him standing there all happy and shiny and smiling everywhere, he didn't notice he forgot about his back pain in those minutes he finished the cake, it was all worth the long hour preparation...and he was literally licking his fingers while he was eating it... it feels so good :) 



Here is the recipe for whoever wants to know :

Mad Scientist's Winter Chocolate Cake :

For Cake
150 gr flour
150 gr sugar
2 Eggs
100 gr butter
1 teaspoon baking powder
75 gr milk chocolate

For Topping
75 Gram Chocolate
50 gr botter
200 ml fresh cream 



Warning: this is a very tasty cake which contains a ton of sugar and chocolate, eat with care... under a supervision of an adult, that is, if he doesn't eat it before you!!!

Preparation
Cake
1) In a ban marrie melt the chocolate and the butter above boiling water on a very small fire. notice the mixture is smooth. 


Let the mixture cool off.

2) In a bowl , mix together the sugar with the eggs, until it reaches a fluffy white smooth mixture. 
3) Strain the flour and the sugar into the mixture of sugar and eggs. mix everything together and add the baking powder. 
4) Add the chocolate and butter mixture from the ban marrie to your bowl, stirring carefully allowing temperatures comparison (We are in the mad scientist's blog after all).
5) Bake the cake in a buttered pan in a 175*C pre heated oven for 30 minutes. 
6) Allow the cake to cool off.

The crazy topping
1) Wisk the cream to a thick cream. allow it to be hard and stable.
2) Melt the chocolate and butter in a ban marrie , same as you did for the cake itself. 
3) After the chocolate and butter mix has cooled down, fold it into the cream.
4) Smeer the topping on the cooled cake 

Bon Apetit, or as we say in Holland : Eet Smakelijk! 


My best friend is in London having fun, while her sweet husband is making their kitchen with new tiles, it looks beautiful, me and my man helped a bit with cleaning and moving of things. I hope she will be happy when she comes back home to see how it turned out to be :) 

Have a great weekend everyone

Cheers from the mad scientist

No comments:

Post a Comment